Posted on Leave a comment

Paddy Energy Forced to Pull Offensive Oscar Pistorius Ad by Ad Authority

Paddy E<span id="more-10165"></span>nergy Forced to Pull Offensive Oscar Pistorius Ad by Ad Authority

A Paddy Power ad that featured alleged murderer Oscar Pistorius will be pulled after a record number of complaints.

After fielding an archive 5,200 complaints, Irish bookmaker Paddy energy has been forced to pull an offensive ad from its UK publications, because well to be examined by the UK’s Advertising Standards Authority (ASA). The ad which many felt at best trivialized the current and ongoing murder trial of Paralympian Oscar Pistorius, and at worst exploited it for profit was ordered down earlier this week by the ASA after being overwhelmed with input from horrified citizens.

Making Light of Pistorius Murder Trial

The print advertising which had appeared in the press that is UK, as well as on the Paddy Power internet site and social networking feeds offered odds on the outcome of the trial stating:

‘IT’S OSCAR TIME. CASH BACK IF HE WALKS. WE WILL REFUND ALL LOSING BETS ON THE OSCAR PISTORIUS TRIAL IF HE IS FOUND never GUILTY.’

Pistorius’ face appeared photoshopped onto an Oscar statuette a mention of the recently aired Academy Awards, which had been held in la since the murder trial got underway in South Africa. According to over 122,000 signatories of a online petition, however, Pistorius’ girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp’s alleged murder in February 2013 at the arms of her boyfriend should be no matter that is laughing.

‘A young woman has been killed,’ said Jean Hatchet, organizer of the change.org petition. ‘There is no doubt that she was killed by this guy, whether or not he intended to kill her.’ The Paddy Power ad, she says, is ‘an incredibly awful, callous thing.’

It was said by the ASA would publish its findings and proffer any sanctions in due course. Meanwhile, the business was clear in its disdain for the message.

‘We consider the ad may be seriously prejudicial to the public that is general the ground regarding the likely further serious and/or widespread offence it may cause,’ noted an ASA-issued statement that was released by the middle of week. ‘we have been also concerned that the reputation that is good of advertising industry may be further damaged by continued publication of this advertisement.’

Paddy Power noted that the print campaign was only meant to operate along with last week’s Oscars anyway, and claimed it only ran once in A uk paper sunday. A look at the site by late this week showed no trace of the ad whatsoever, nor any mention of its existence ever although the ASA said the Ireland-based company’s website was out of its jurisdiction. A search regarding the company’s web site’s betting options also revealed no matches for the word ‘Pistorius,’ though whether that indicates the bet is off is anybody’s guess.

Not the First Offensive Ad from Paddy Power

Paddy energy with a history of this sort of risqué strategy remained defiant, but seemed to totally miss the moral dimension, telling media: ‘Trial wagering as a whole isn’t a common event, but there’s certainly nothing new about betting on the results of the most high-profile court instances and they don’t come any more high-profile than this. Given the rolling coverage of this trial, pretty much everyone will be dealing with it and speculating on the verdict. We’re therefore expecting some of our customers to want to place their cash where their lips is.’

Hatchet has requested that the profits created from the Pistorius bet should be donated to women’s charities, to which Paddy Power retorted: ‘We’re offering betting on the outcome of a trial. It’s about whether Pistorius is found responsible or otherwise not guilty, it is not a market that is betting domestic violence.’

It’s far from the very first of many Paddy Power campaigns that deliberately seeks to court controversy.

The business was when forced to pull billboard posters that showed Jesus and the Apostles gambling at the Last Supper. And in 2010, A tv spot that showed a blind soccer player kicking a cat into a tree was the absolute most complained about spot of this 12 months. The decision was also designed to pull another TV spot that featured transvestites at a race meet, and invited its clients to ‘spot the stallions among the mares’.

Of course, Paddy Power has achieved its objective that is real once: to force its brand into the papers and obtain people talking about its advertising campaigns. However, at the same time when politicians in the UK are questioning the amount of gambling ads on television which they say can very quickly be looked at by minors, this might be publicity that the gambling industry could do without probably.

Junior Middleweight Champ Molina Jailed Before MGM Garden Fight Night

Current IBF Junior Middleweight champ Carlos Molina during the MGM Grand Garden Arena straight back on Sept. 14, 2013. Molina is hoping to be released with time for Saturday’s match against undefeated Jermall Charlo. (Image: Mark Hundley/Las Vegas Sun)

UPDATE March 8, 2014: Carlos Molina was not released from Clark County Detention Center on Friday, therefore the Saturday MGM Grand Garden Arena battle was cancelled. It appears the reason that is primary because technically Molina is recognized as an illegal alien and was wanted by immigration officials, despite having lived in the U.S. since age four.

‘He’s not leaving jail to fight, so we don’t understand as he is getting out,’ said Warriors Boxing promoter Leon Margules in a ESPN interview. ‘It’s because of his immigration status. He is an unlawful alien.’

—-

It is a development that has promoters and bookmakers chewing through their nails: Carlos ‘King’ Molina’s planned defense of his IBF junior middleweight globe title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Saturday against undefeated opponent Jermall Charlo may not go ahead because Molina was still in jail awaiting release as we went to press on Friday’s weigh-in time.

Arrested on Outstanding Warrants

Molina was arrested shortly after his press meeting at the MGM Grand earlier in the week on a warrant that is fugitive stemming from a 2007 parole violation for a deep failing to register as a sex offender. In 2002, he was convicted of second-degree assault on a minor in Outgamie, Wisconsin.

Meanwhile, it has also emerged that Appleton, Wisconsin police have a disorderly conduct warrant out for him, dating back in to 2005.

On morning, Clark County prosecutor Bart Pace agreed to set Molina’s bail at $10,000 with the agreement of Wisconsin authorities; however, as Molina’s representatives scrambled to secure his release in time for the bout against challenger Jermall Charlo, he still needs to clear an immigration hold (he was born in Mexico, but has lived in the US since age four), and currently remains in Clark County Detention Center Las Vegas’ main holding lockdown for bad boys thursday.

Molina’s promoter, Leon Margules, said: ‘We made an understanding with Wisconsin for the fighter’s release in the sex offender enrollment violation. The immigration problem is more complicated. We’m still searching for exactly why Carlos is being held. Saturday i’m hopeful we can get it resolved, get him released and get him in the ring. He told me he’s supporting well, but he wants to get out and he wishes to fight Saturday.’

Monday Hearing Puts Fight in Doubt

The fact that records show that his next hearing has been set for this coming Monday throws that into doubt while authorities initially said they expected the boxer to be released in time for the fight.

At a press seminar on Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, remained upbeat: ‘I’m waiting to hear from Molina’s people,’ he said thursday. ‘They’re managing all of Molina’s issues. We do not have to make a choice on the fight until the weigh-in (Friday). But I am aware Carlos desires to fight. He’s very anxious to get in the ring and he’s actually fired up.’

However, Schaefer revealed that, should they don’t spring the miscreant champ from his jail cell, he possesses back-up plan: ‘Just in case, this is simply for the pay-per-view audience to know … if that battle doesn’t happen, then we might, needless to say, have actually the luxury of moving up Ricardo Alvarez against Thompson to the pay-per-view card.’

While watchers may be covered regardless, it’s a total headache for the bookmakers, obviously: collectively, vast amounts in wagers go through their fingers on big Vegas fight nights and may this bout fail to materialize those bets might have to be returned.

https://aussie-pokies.club/players-paradise-slot/

Meanwhile, Molina’s opponent is wanting to keep a head that is clear ‘When I first heard it, I didn’t think it,’ said Charlo. ‘I thought my trainer [Ronnie Shields] had been joking. But we’m going to keep everything that is doing same way as if we will fight. I’ll stay concentrated. I want in which to stay shape. I’m not going to be distracted.’

Downtown Grand Sued When Man Loses $500K in Alleged Blackout State

Weekend 52-year-old Mark Johnston from Los Angeles is suing the Downtown Grand in Las Vegas, after losing $500K wagering on Super Bowl. Johnston claims he ended up being blacked out and didn’t understand exactly what he was doing. (Image: CNN)

Did you do have a rough Super Bowl weekend, wagering-wise? Perhaps you bet regarding the Broncos, or maybe the blowout took most of the full life out of your Super Bowl celebration. Whatever the case can be, you didn’t have the type of issues faced by one severe gambler in Las Vegas, whom says he lost $500,000 over that weekend he was doing while he was far too inebriated to know what.

Blackout Drunk Continued to Wager

That guy 52-year-old Mark Johnston, from Los Angeles claims that the Downtown Grand in nevada’ Fremont Street area allowed him to gamble while he was clearly drunk; blackout drunk, according to his or her own assessment. That lead to him losing fifty per cent of a million dollars at the pai blackjack and gow tables.

‘I feel just like they picked my pockets,’ said Johnston, a retiree from Ca. ‘I feel you reach in his pockets and grab all his money like they took a drunk guy…like a drunk guy walking down the street, and.

‘I am not just a sore loser. I’ve lost half a million. I’ve lost 800,000. I’ve lost a complete fortune. This has nothing at all to do with that. Obviously I are able to afford the things I destroyed,’ said Johnston, who however will not classify himself as a ‘whale’ the industry term for a high-roller.

Johnston formerly owned A california that is southern car, now owns a Mercedes-Benz worth $250,000; making his modesty regarding his gambling status a tad disingenuous.

He has not blacked out previously, he also claims to have been served 20-30 drinks, making one wonder how he can remember that, but not his gambling play per se although he claims. Nevertheless the rich are not richer because they don’t know how to play hardball, and Johnston is no exception to that rule; he appears happy to play the victim card in this scenario than we are.

‘This is mostly about you nearly killing me. What in me, and I threw up on myself and I choked and died?’ Johnston said, with a dramatic flair that we can only admire from afar if I had gone to bed that night, with all those drinks. That being said, even he fesses up to having had as 10 products while traveling to Vegas and in the limo before he even hit the gaming floor.

‘ My responsibility is, look, I’d some beverages at the airport, on the air plane. At some point, that’s my duty,’ the gambler stated. ‘The unfortunate part about it for them is, they will have a bigger duty than i actually do.’

In accordance with Johnston’s lawyer Sean Lyttle, The Grand is countersuing in an effort to gather their client’s debts; although other media sources have reported that the casino has offered to settle at a 20 percent discount $400K but that Johnston refuses to go that path. Meanwhile, Johnston has placed a stop-payment order regarding the debt payments The Grand had been trying to collect, and is particularly suing them for damaging his reputation.

Nevada Law Puts Onus on Casinos

It ends up that per Nevada legislation casinos are, in fact, prohibited from allowing gamblers that are visibly drunk continuing to wager cash. They are also supposed to stop the drinks that are free they can inform someone has already established one a lot of. The grey area right here may be who determines what constitutes just how many, and by what criteria. After all, if Johnston surely could place wagers also in a blackout state, he might be in as he claims how was the casino to know what impaired state?

However, regulatory authorities are using the case quite really. So as The Grand doesn’t comment on pending litigation, Nevada’s Gaming Control Board is apparently investigating the full case one that Lyttle claims is quite unusual.

‘It’s certainly an extraordinary case,’ Lyttle said. ‘ This is not a whole story that I’ve ever heard before, where someone was blackout intoxicated where they couldn’t read their cards, and yet a casino continued to serve them products and issue them more markers. It’s a very heavy-handed and unusual approach that we haven’t seen in this town in quite a while.’

In accordance with Johnston, he’s a regular in Las Vegas and was invited to The Grand for Super Bowl weekend together with his gf, though he mostly gambled by himself. His lawsuit alleges that The Grand offered him lots of free drinks after he had been drinking at supper, and that he didn’t recognize how much he had lost until Sunday.

While Johnston lost big over Super Bowl weekend, he wasn’t the only one. With most of the public money on the Broncos, the Nevada sportsbooks won nearly $20 million from gamblers in the NFL’s championship game this year after having a record number of betting.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *